Friday 22 February 2008

Game On

To start, one of my favourites, Game On - which had a three series run on the BBC between 1995-98. Not everyone's cup of tea, the flatshare based sitcom focused on three twentysomethings who were all tragic losers in their own special ways. Matt was a housebound agraphobic, Martin, his ginger best friend who was treated like a little brother and worked in a dead end bank job, and Mandy, a beautiful and unlucky-in-love careerist who never seemed to do anything but shag.

The writers were sometimes criticised for not making the characters likable enough, but then again, the critics probably wern't the twentysomethings this was aimed at. I was only in my early teens when I became a Game On fan, and although I didn't understand half the jokes, I can go back now and the simple, sexual-issues led storylines make for an easy, laughable sitcom that I still love. Even if it's only appeal is that the tedious lives of the characters make your life seem exciting and fruitful, go and watch the back catalogue on YouTube.

One of my favourite lines of dialogue:

Matt: [On Steve McQueen in The Great Escape] What was his character's name?
Martin: I dunno... Chris?
Matt: Chris? Chris? Chris is the sort of name a turd might have, if turds had names. Yes, Steve McQueen stars as Chris in the Great escape. That's right up there with Robert De Niro as Tim in Raging Bull. Marlon Brando as Toby in the Godfather.
Martin: No, everyone knows he was called Don in the Godfather. Though that's not a traditional Italian name...

No comments: